[vfio-users] VGA Passthrough limitations?

Abdulla Bubshait darkstego at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:33:01 UTC 2016

I don't think this is an identical MSRS spam, but it might be caused by the
same underlying principal. I think the bottleneck here is the CPU, since
Virtual CPUs are not exactly like CPUs.

Take the Heroes MSRS spam. Each event is a register read in hardware, but
since these are unique registers they will be emulated (if function works)
as software in KVM. What I am guessing is happening here is the 3D code is
running something that requires KVM to do things, which ends up being much
slower than hardware.

I would suggest trying to do something like CPU pinning to see if you can
bump up performance a bit. But if this thing turns out to be a code path
that isn't using hardware virtualization then you might never get the
performance you are looking for.

Maybe someone with more experience with the inner workings of
virtualization could be more useful here.