[vfio-users] reuse vfio pass through device problem

Chen, Xiaoguang xiaoguang.chen at intel.com
Thu Nov 3 07:22:41 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I pass through a network card to a linux guest using vfio.
Then I shut down the guest and boot the guest again but got problem:
qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:04:00.0: vfio error: 0000:04:00.0: failed to open /dev/vfio/11: Device or resource busy

I checked the QEMU code and found that the error occured while opening the group.
When I booted the guest for the first time the group was added to a container but when the guest shut down the group was not deleted from the container. So I got error while opening the group.

Does this work as design or a bug?