[vfio-users] Make guest gpu visible to xrandr

Fabian Lx fabi_lx at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 15 23:50:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have successfully set up my Windows 10 virtual machine using Alex
Williamson's guide.
Everything is working fine, however, I would like to improve my
experience by automatically switching the monitor input after booting up
the vm.

My current monitor does not support an auto-detect mode, which would
switch the active input to my guest vm after deactivating the current
input via "$ xrandr --output HDMI2 --off".
Unfortunately "$ xrandr --listproviders" and "$ xrandr"  only list the
Intel GPU (see "My PC specifications" below) so I have not been able to
set it up myself.

I have seen that this issue has already been discussed in the archlinux
forums, although I am not sure whether this was related to vfio.
No solution was mentioned in the thread at that time.

How can I make the second/guest GPU visible to xrandr or use it in
another way to switch the monitor input for my vm?

My PC specifications:

Monitor:    LG 24MP68VQ

Host OS:     Archlinux 4.8.7-1-ARCH
Host GPU:     Intel HD Graphics 530

Guest OS:    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Guest GPU:    AMD Sapphire RX 480 (No AMD reset issues with this card
anymore)
Guest GPU driver:    Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.11.3

$ lspci | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530
(rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 480] (rev c7)

$ xrandr --listproviders

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x48 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload
crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel

$ xrandr

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis
y axis) 480mm x 270mm
    1920x1080     60.00*+
    1680x1050     59.88
    1400x1050     59.95
    1600x900      60.00
    1280x1024     75.02    60.02
    1440x900      59.90
    1280x800      59.91
    1152x864      75.00
    1280x720      60.00
    1024x768      75.03    60.00
    800x600       75.00    60.32
    640x480       75.00    59.94
    720x400       70.08
HDMI3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Best regards
Fabian