[vfio-users] issues about igd-passthrough using vfio-pci

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 02:55:47 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:37 PM, fulaiyang <fulaiyang at 163.com> wrote:

> hello,
>     Thanks for your reply and sorry to provide not enough information.
>     The IGD is the the primary graphics on the host and I am trying to do
>  legacy mode. The VM is SeaBIOS based and the system is a a desktop. My
> configuration is as follows:
>
> *environment :*
>
> Intel Core i3-6100U @ 2.30GHz
> Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated Graphics
> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS *DESKTOP*
> Host kernel 4.6.6 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> qemu 2.7.0
>

> *configuration:*
>
>    - */boot/config-4.6.6*
>
>     CONFIG_VFIO_IOMMU_TYPE1=m
>     CONFIG_VFIO=m
>     CONFIG_VFIO_PCI=m
>     CONFIG_VFIO_PCI_IGD=y
>     CONFIG_VFIO_PCI_VGA=y
>     CONFIG_FW_CFG_SYSFS=y
>     CONFIG_FW_CFG_SYSFS_COMLINE=y
>     CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON=y
>

>    - */boot/grub/grub**.cfg*
>
>             /boot/vmlinuz-4.6.6 root=… quiet splash intel_iommu=on
> vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 $vt_handoff
> modprobe.blacklist=i915 video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off

Does your kernel include simplefb (grep CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE
/boot/config-4.6.6)?  This can sometime claim resources on the IGD and
interfere with assignment.  Reports seem to indicate that an equivalent
video=simplefb:off does not work with that driver.  I've had good luck
booting with i915 claiming IGD and then unbinding it to use for
assignment.  The problem comes with re-binding subsequent times, but i915
prevents the more esoteric console drivers from lighting up.  Does QEMU
print any messages when started?