[vfio-users] Mouse and keyboard for gaming

Jonas Camillus Jeppesen jonascj at sdu.dk
Tue Sep 27 20:46:23 UTC 2016

Hi everyone

This is not strictly vfio related, but many people associate vfio with
gaming on virtual machines on Linux, so that's my justification for
posting my question here.

How is your mouse and keyboard setup for gaming on Windows guests?

By gaming I mean you pass your dedicated GPU through to a Windows 7 or
10 guest to play Counter Strike, World of Warcraft, Rocket League,
Skyrim etc.

Personally I've only tried Synergy with the Linux host as server, and
Win 10 guest as client. This works reasonably well for non-first person
shooters (FPS). In FPS games the camera tends to go completely haywire
when moving the mouse.

Are people binding mouse/keyboard to the guest (no longer usable on
host), and then run the Synergy on Windows, and client on Linux host?

I look forward to hear about your setups! The goal is to have mouse and
keyboard on both Linux host and Windows host, and mouse working in 3D
games (like CS, WoW, etc.).

/ Jonas