[vfio-users] Finding a suitable replacement mainboard for GPU passthrough

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:40:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Martin Schrodt <martin at schrodt.org> wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> after buying a new rig a week ago, I noticed several problems with the
> mainboard I chose, so I am going to send it back. It's an ASRock Z 170
> Extreme 4.
>
> Problems I have:
>
> 1) The board does not like the RAM I ordered. I have a kit DDR4-3200
> DIMM CL14-14-14-34 from G-Skill that will crap out when running at it's
> specified speed, right now it's stable at 2800.
>
> 2) It won't suspend correctly if I leave it's USB-3.1 controller to
> Linux (will wake up immediately, complaining that the USB controller
> prevented proper suspend) (ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142)

A poorly behaving ASMedia device, shocking </sarcasm>

3) The first and the second PCIe-slot are in the same IOMMU-group,
> preventing me to use a second GPU for the host in slot 2 without
> ACS-override. (*1)

Of course, you need a certain class of processors to have ACS, Z170 doesn't
support any of those processors.  See
http://vfio.blogspot.com/2015/10/intel-processors-with-acs-support.html
 You need an X99 motherboard for that.

> 4) When resuming from suspend, the BIOS (I presume, someone with another
> board from ASRock has the same problems) fucks up TSC, which causes the
> kernel to turn it off, and the VM to stutter badly afterwards. I have to
> reboot to get a performing VM. (*2)
>
> 5) The VM is dead after I suspend/resume the host.

Hmm, if you're thinking a VM with assigned devices should survive a host
suspend/resume, I'm not sure that's a reasonable expectation right now.