[vfio-users] vfio, xeon e3s, acs, & gpus -- oh my!

Joshua Hoblitt josh at hoblitt.com
Sun Apr 2 07:10:38 UTC 2017

I decided to go with an E6-1650 v4 / C612 based motherboard as I wanted
both ECC memory and a BMC. This required switching from U to RDIMMs,
which I typically don't use in a desktop, but there is theoretically a
small RAS improvement with RDIMMs.  The cost works out to ~$350 more
than a E3 system at the same clock rates, and dropping from kaby lake to
broadwell.  However, it is a jump from 2-4 memory channels, additional
DIMM slots, and 2 additional cores.

-Josh