[vfio-users] vfio, xeon e3s, acs, & gpus -- oh my!

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Sun Apr 2 09:18:03 UTC 2017

On 04/02/2017 01:43 AM, Joshua Lee wrote:
> What do you mean by "iffy"? My $200 x99 board has seperate IOMMU groups
> per-device, and a i7 5820k/6800k or, if you want it cheaper, an E5-1620v3
> or 1620v4, can do ACS and sane IOMMU groups with it for under $600 also,
> without needing to get a used processor...
Personal experience - I have never seen a reasonably priced intel system
that did it properly, whereas even AMD's "desktop" CPU's and chipsets
have it.

I don't buy or recommend intel's stuff for exotic uses because I have
been burned too many times by their artificial market separation
efforts, I also do not like the fact that their newer products aren't
owner controlled for a variety of reasons (although now you can say the
same about AMD as well) which again isn't good for fringe uses as there
is no ability to fix things that the board vendor refuses to.

There isn't anything wrong with buying a used processor, and $150 gets
you a 6386SE with 16 cores.