[vfio-users] No video output from dedicated GPU when doing PCI passthrough

Stano Lano chl.xxx5x at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 13:07:54 UTC 2017

AMD drivers dont like the GPU to be connected directly.
AMD GPUs should be connected through pcie-root-port like this:

    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='ioh3420'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01'
function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00'
function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00'
function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

Some old drivers do work without the pcie-root-port