Re: [vfio-users] Saving/restoring VFIO VMs

Yes, but windows knows the passed device is then shutdown. At reboot windows knows that the device is "freshly" rebooted.

In your case, another OS (linux) use this card at a moment or another, reset some bus (when re-binded to vfio). The reset of cards is already hardly supported by windows / linux driver.

For my case: i know that my r9 290 can hard freeze if i shudown badly my windows vm: the os is completely unloaded "software speaking" but the card not, and it is still "powered".
2 options, when i restart the driver crash windows, or the driver crash windows + the card + the host.

No problem when making a correct windows shut-down / start => the card is cleanly unloaded by windows and cleanly restarted.

--
Deldycke Quentin

On 18 April 2017 at 13:53, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-04-18 at 13:32 +0200, Quentin Deldycke wrote:
> You can't do like this. Even sleep is not correctly supported.
>
> What is happening to the card during reboot? How windows can know?

Windows supports hibernation on some machines (e.g. laptops and
tablets). That presumably does save the state of all devices. However
KVM/QEMU doesn't seem to include the appropriate virtual hardware
emulation.

poc