[vfio-users] Deciding whether to stick with X399

Brian Yglesias brian at atlanticdigitalsolutions.com
Wed Dec 6 19:16:15 UTC 2017

Sorry for the double post.  I keep forgetting to make sure my email client doesn't use html to quote.  What follows is my original message:

======

Thanks for the response.

This guy had success with a similar board and ESXi.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/72ula0/tr1950x_gtx_1060_passthrough_with_esxi/

I also found an account of it working on the same board as mine (Zenith).  Note that my IOMMU groups were better than his, possibly due to a bios setting he's missed, im guessing:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/threadripper-gpu-passthrough-working-with-vega/120594

This guy is using a similar board from Asrock and uses KVM:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/threadripper-gpu-passthrough-working-with-vega/120594

I didn't get much of a chance to look at the groupings, but I did notice that all three GPUs got their own IOMMU groups, and I was able to bind vfio-pci.  In addition I noticed I had many more groups than on my X58s or than the second post referened above.  It was close to 50.   Perhaps that was down to the "unique IOMMU per IVR (or so) setting in the bios.

Asus tech suppoirt might think of something that I haven't, and could get a chance to test it tomorrow.  It's a great value, especially for this application, so I'm still inclined to keep it if I can.

-Brian