[vfio-users] edk2.git-ovmf-x64 from kraxel.org/repos doesn't boot?

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 11:15:02 UTC 2017

On Mi, 2017-02-22 at 00:17 -0700, Doug Applegate wrote:
> I've never had problems booting using ovmf firmware from the rpm repo
> https://www.kraxel.org/repos/ but today I updated (fedora 25) and
> could no longer boot (black screen, no Tiano Core logo)
>
> In my libvirt configuration I use:
>  <loader readonly='yes'
> type='pflash'>/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>

shipped by kraxel.org rpm.

> which I'm assuming is the latest build from the repo, however I
> switched it to this:
> <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/edk2/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>

shipped by standard fedora rpm.

> Can someone explain to me what the difference between the two files
> are? Should I not be running the latest builds from
> www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/ or is the other one preferred?

Well, kraxel.org is cutting edge, built automatically from github master
branch whenever new edk2 commits show up.  It'll will deliver the newest
code.  The newest bugs (if any) are included for free ;)

The good news is that the package will pick up fixes too as they are
committed upstream.  Just try updating again the next day and see if
that unbreaks things.

Reporting issues to edk2-devel list increases the chance that bugs are
fixed quickly.  If you don't want to deal with that you are probably
better served with the standard fedora rpm.

cheers,
  Gerd