[vfio-users] IGD passthrough / windows OS ram problem with new intel drivers

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu May 18 16:32:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:40 AM, nicolas prochazka <
prochazka.nicolas at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello,
> this issue can be corrected by setting x-igd-gms

Yes, I've exchanged some email with Intel about this, it seems their
Windows driver started handling lack of stolen memory as an invalid
configuration.  In the short term I think we'll probably see a driver
update that re-enables this, longer term we've got some ideas how we can
expose the host stolen memory range into guest as the x-igd-gms option is
probably not fully virtualizing relocating it into the guest address
space.  Those long term changes will require updates to the host kernel,
QEMU and SeaBIOS/OVMF, so use the x-igd-gms option for now, look for that
to be no longer required as you get guest driver updates, and at some point
in the future we should have better support for this.  Thanks,

Alex