[vfio-users] passthrough not working.

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Wed Oct 18 01:28:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 03:10:20 +0200
redhat at vanvoorn.com wrote:

> Dear vfio-users,
>
> I am having trouble passing through my GTX 660 with KVM.
>
> When using SeaBIOS, I always get "device does not support requested
> feature x-vga". With OVMF, no matter what vbios I pass through, I get no
> output.
>
> Could you please take a look at it since I have been working on it for a
> while?
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Peter Alias Mazhive.
>
> Below is my specs, the exact error, and lspci info. Please let me know
> if you need anything else.
>

> ##########################
> fedora 26 4.13.5-200.fc26.x86_64
>
> Mobo: ASUS: Maximus viii hero
> bios : 3201x64
> ASUS : GTX660DC2O2GD5 in the first slot  a pciex16x8
>
> ###########################
> #  virt-manager error
> ########################
>
> Error starting domain: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the
> monitor: 2017-10-18T00:46:08.309736Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device
> vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,x-vga=on,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2: vfio
> error: 0000:01:00.0: failed getting region info for VGA region index 8:
> Invalid argument
> device does not support requested feature x-vga

Are you using the disable_vga option of vfio-pci?

What does this show?

# cat /sys/module/vfio_pci/parameters/disable_vga

Fedora kernels should have the right config options to enable VGA
access through vfio.

Run rom-parser on the ROM file to make sure it has a UEFI section and
matches your device:

https://github.com/awilliam/rom-parser

Thanks,
Alex