[vfio-users] passthrough not working.

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 14:28:01 UTC 2017

[cc +vfio-users... please use reply-all]

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 23:23:23 +0200
redhat at vanvoorn.com wrote:

> Sorry for the  misunderstanding the rom-parser on the original dump done
> on native windows 10 with nvflash. tells me the following.
>
> Valid ROM signature found @600h, PCIR offset 190h
> 	PCIR: type 0 (x86 PC-AT), vendor: 10de, device: 11c0, class: 030000
> 	PCIR: revision 0, vendor revision: 1
> 	Last image

So you don't have a ROM that supports UEFI, either find one that does,
or stop trying to use OVMF.  Is your primary graphics the integrated
Intel graphics?  If so, I'm guessing that's why you're having issues
with no output using x-vga.  IGD does not work correctly with VGA
arbitration, see:

http://vfio.blogspot.com/2014/08/whats-deal-with-vga-arbitration.html

And my setup guide identifies this as an issue:

http://vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-3-host.html

This is still an issue in the Fedora kernel you're using as it hasn't
been fixed upstream (probably won't be unless i915 developers invest
time in it).  Your options are therefore either to install a different
graphics card as primary for the host, disabling IGD, or patch and build
your own kernel (indefinitely).  If I were you, I'd be hunting for a
ROM that supports UEFI or upgrade to a graphics card that already
supports it.  The Kepler Geforce cards were right on the borderline
of UEFI ROMs becoming standard, some vendors supplied it (including my
EVGA GTX660), others didn't.  Contact the card vendor to inquire about
a new VGA BIOS.  Thanks,

Alex