[vfio-users] Trouble passing PCI device in isolated IOMMU group

Quincy Wofford quincy.wofford at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:39:51 UTC 2018

I'm attempting PCI-passthrough from host to guest on an HP ProLiant 380P,
which has an updated, yet rather old BIOS (2015), but it does support VT-d.
I'm running CentOS 7, kernel 3.10.0-862.9.1.el7.x86_64.

I have an Intel 82580 NIC installed with 4 ports. Each of these ports is in
its own IOMMU group (I enabled SR-IOV at the BIOS, which might be the
reason they show up separately)

 After detaching and adding a 'hostdev' device with the appropriate pci
address, I attempt to start my VM. I get " failed to set iommu for
container: Operation not permitted". As recommended here (
http://vfio.blogspot.com/2014/08/vfiovga-faq.html) I parsed dmesg in an
attempt to find:

-------------------
No interrupt remapping support. Use the module param
"allow_unsafe_interrupts" to enable VFIO IOMMU support on this platform
-------------------
...but nothing similar exists in my logs.

Since this device is showing up in its own IOMMU group, I assume ACS
override won't get me any further. In any case, it is not an option for me
to leave ACS override on. I can turn it on for testing, the server is not
currently in production.

Below you will find links to relevant configs:

virsh edit monitor: https://pastebin.com/kzCR0E5t
nodedev-list --tree: https://pastebin.com/AfYJKZX9
nodedev-dumpxml pci_0000_04_00_1: https://pastebin.com/VUurQ05Y
virsh start monitor: https://pastebin.com/6ANCL5pJ