[vfio-users] Cannot get vfio-pci to work

Torbjorn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Wed Aug 15 17:57:30 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-15 19:48, Jes Urup wrote:
> Hello,
> Im really having some trouble getting iommu/vfio-pci to work.
> Im running on a supermicro X8SIE-F. I have enabled vt-d in bios.
> I used dpdk-devbind so it uses vfio-pci driver, but the kernel module is
> still e1000e.
> I've added modules="vfio vfio-pci vfio_iommu_type1" to /etc/conf.d/modules,
> and made it start on boot and i've created a udev rule. Ive also tried
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vfio.txt but no luck.. So i hope
> some one can help me getting it to work
> Im on gentoo with kernel 4.8.17-hardened-r2

you need to specify the pci ids vfio-pci should bind to at start.
if you don't then it wont bind to any specific card at boot.

i don't remmeber exact syntax right now but i a good start is to read up on
Alex Williamsons blog at:
http://vfio.blogspot.com/
check the old posts there.

there is more guides and information out there regarding vfio too.