[vfio-users] How to set PCI address in "options vfio-pci" ?

Kyle Marek psppsn96 at gmail.com
Sat May 19 04:38:02 UTC 2018

This should be simple (I did this on Ubuntu, first).

The softdep lines of the modprobe config order vfio-pci before the
drivers that usually bind to your device, so you don't need to unbind
anything; vfio-pci is bound, first.

Ubuntu's initramfs-tools copies your modprobe config
(/etc/modprobe.d/*.conf) into the initrds.

You can explicitly add modules to your initrds in
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules.

So:

 1. Adapt the mentioned modprobe config (maybe with Alex's install line
    modification) in /etc/modprobe.d/something.conf
 2. Place "vfio-pci" in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
 3. `sudo update-initramfs -k all -u`