[vfio-users] Cheap Athlon 200GE Vega + B350/B450 Mobo possible gpu passthrough?

Tomáš Mikulec to.mikulec at email.cz
Thu Nov 15 16:24:34 UTC 2018

I am interested in building cheap PC with cheap AMD Athlon with Vega GPU
AMD Athlon 200GE Vega integrated GPU and some tiny B350 motherboard, since
that A320 does not seem to support IOMMU based on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware#Chipset_2.

I haven't found info if the CPU can do that or not. Maybe at least Ryzen 3
2200G can do it?
There was some sheet with tested hardware, anyone has a link?

Here is a preliminary part list from local shop (cz, prices are meh)
https://i.imgur.com/ylezbPM.png
I would like to make it miniITX and super portable so hence so tiny
motherboard.
I didn't add any storage since I have some spare SSDs lying around.

I might still go for AMD Ryzen 3 2200G which I hear is two times as
powerful as the Athlon, but in here almost as twice as expensive, but worth
the investment I guess. And B450 motherboard, since I hear its 'less buggy'
then B350, non ITX one is a fair price as well.

For the host GPU, I could use some low-end pci-e and passthrough the
integrated GPU, if it isn't too crazy.
Such a cheap setup could be a gift for my friends as a family PC so both
people can use it at one time. Husband for gaming (with steamplay now, the
options are great) and wife the VM for some clickity on internetz.

Any experiences with similar hardware are welcomed as well as the thoughts
on the build.