[vfio-users] Thinking about managing VMs with a macro pad & scripts

Daniel Browne jairuncaloth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 04:41:53 UTC 2018

My host OS is Ubuntu server running headless with a Win7 VM and a Xubuntu
VM as desktops (both have a dedicated GPU). Mouse and keyboard are passed
through to Windows so that I can use the logitech software to configure
them. I use Synergy to share the kb/mouse with the Linux VM. Generally this
works fine, but leaves me in a situation where my Windows VM has to be
running 100% of the time. Also, if something happens to my windows VM or if
synergy crashes on the Linux guest I'm left with no ability to control my
system other then grabbing a laptop and connecting to the host remotely.

I've been thinking about the best way to deal with this particular pain
point lately and I think I want to try getting a macro pad (basically a
tiny keyboard with 4-8 buttons), hooking it up to the host, and binding the
keys to various libvirt scripts/commands. I have a few different ideas in
mind for the scripts such as moving the kb/mouse to the Linux VM or
rebooting one of the VMs.

My question is, has anyone else tried something like this? If so, how well
did it work and do you have any particular recommendations for a macro pad?

On a side topic, I added a HDMI switch to my configuration a little while
back with the goal of being able to dedicate both of my monitors to one or
the other of my VMs (or maybe even swapping the screens) without having to
move cables around. Unfortunately, neither of my guests do well with having
the monitors switched around like that. I have issues where the guest just
plain won't detect the monitor, or it won't set the resolution to something
sane. If anyone has any tips that might help with this issue, it would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel