[vfio-users] PXE boot failed if GPU mounted.

Eddie Yen missile0407 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 07:52:56 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure it's VFIO or pure KVM issue on here.

Now we have one GPU server which contains few Tesla GPUs. Installed Fedora
28 and using VFIO to passthrough GPU into VM.
Everything is OK, except one annoying things that we using PXE to install
guest OS. But PXE can't get any DHCP IP if GPU mounted. We have to un-mount
GPU first then re-mount once OS installation completed.

For PXE, we use host bridge to connect host VLAN, then let PXE boot vnet
going to connect that bridge.
I'm not sure the root cause, probably from PCI setup inside VM.
Does anyone have idea?

Many thanks,
Eddie.