Re: [virt-tools-list] virt-install 0.400-3: cannot install

Cole Robinson wrote:
On 11/22/2009 01:20 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
Cole Robinson wrote:
On 11/22/2009 01:12 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:
I'm trying to do a text-based install using virt-install 0.400-3 on a
ubuntu server 9.10 but it is refusing to install.  Here is the form of
the command I'm using:

$ sudo -s
# virt-install -n "DOMAIN-1" --vcpus=4 --ram=2048 --disk
path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/DOMAIN-1.img
--location=http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu-releases/karmic/ubuntu-9.10-server-amd64.iso

--accelerate --network=bridge:br0 --nographics
--extra-args="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200"

I've tried local, nfs, http for locations and it either says its not an
installable distribution or I get a ValueError: Invalid install
location.  But I can wget the iso with no problem using the same url.

Can anyone point me to what is wrong with my command line?

--location needs to point to an install tree, not an iso. You should
be able
to replace --location with --cdrom to make things work. This is
described in
the virt-install man page.

HTH,
Cole

Ok, I just tried it replacing --location with --cdrom and it gives me
the exact same ValueError: Invalid install location Opening URL http://....

Argh, yes. I was wrong about that, --cdrom also expects a top level distro
path. That should be fixed though, to just allow pointing to a cdrom like you did.

So I nfs mounted the iso across the network and then passed the
mountpoint to --cdrom and this at least creates the domain but then it
just sits there at "Escape is ^]" and does not do anything else.

Is there something wrong with my console args?

If you boot off a cdrom, kernel args have no effect, since we have no way to
pass them in to the cd. Extra args only work if you directly boot a kernel.
You should be able to try using

--location http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-amd64/

which will do a direct kernel boot, allowing extra args.

- Cole

I think our posts just crossed. I try this and get back...

-Gerry