[virt-tools-list] virt-install 0.400-3: cannot install

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Nov 23 15:10:36 UTC 2009

Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 11/22/2009 09:57 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> Ok, I reran the install and got the exact same result.  No bootup or
>>> no console output at least.
>>>

> Just because you passed those kernel command line options in for install
> doesn't mean they will stick for the life of the VM. You will need to find a
> way to edit the grub.conf in the guest to get bootup output, and then
> /etc/inittab to start a TTY on the serial line.

I thought I had done this because I added the console args to the kernel
line during the installation screens so I assumed it would generate a
grub.cfg(grub2) using them.  I guess that still wasn't enough.

> You'll either need to set up temporary graphical access, find the IP of the VM
> and use ssh, or some way to kernel boot into rescue mode (or hack up your own
> boot.iso to append custom kernel args).

Yes, I need to figure out how to get a text-based rescue session running
for the VM.

>>> Here is the process line:
>>> root     23068     1  0 20:46 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/kvm -S -M
>>> pc-0.11 -m 2048 -smp 4 -name DOMAIN-1 -uuid
>>> b1620075-a0ba-1246-fd67-1243c20870a6 -nographic -monitor
>>> unix:/var/run/libvirt/qemu/DOMAIN-1.monitor,server,nowait -boot c
>>> -drive
>>> file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/DOMAIN-1.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -net
>>> nic,macaddr=54:52:00:4b:f1:a6,vlan=0,name=nic.0 -net
>>> tap,fd=17,vlan=0,name=tap.0 -serial pty -parallel none -usb
>>>
>>> I see it has both -monitor and -serial.  Does that make any difference?
>>>
>>> -Gerry
>>>
>> I tried running the command directly and here is what it outputs:
>> TUNGETIFF ioctl() failed: Bad file descriptor
>> TUNSETOFFLOAD ioctl() failed: Bad file descriptor
>> char device redirected to /dev/pts/1
>>

> You can't run the generated command directly because libvirtd sets up things
> like tap devices before running the guest.
>

>> I checked both the image file and the .monitor file and both are there
>> and readable so I don't understand what file it is complaining about.
>>

> It's complaining about the tapfd, which isn't present because libvirt usually
> takes care of it.

Ok, understand that.  Thanks.