Re: [virt-tools-list] virt-install 0.400-3: cannot install

Cole Robinson wrote:
On 11/23/2009 03:22 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
Cole Robinson wrote:
On 11/23/2009 02:41 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:

I tried starting the VM in graphical env with virt-manager.  The VM
never starts and throws this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 493, in
run_domain
   vm.startup()
 File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 573, in startup
   self.vm.create()
 File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 287, in create
   if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: internal error Domain DOMAIN-1 didn't show up

So it doesn't look like this is a guest distro issue.  How can I track
down what is wrong?

See if there are any errors in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/<vmname>.log. See if
disabling selinux (setenforce 0) helps at all.

- Cole

Ignore the Trackback. Found a typo in my xml that I used to define the domain.

Now when I try to start the guest in virt-manager it says "Console not configured for guest". I guess my console args didn't get into grub.cfg.

So I'm back to trying to boot a rescue kernel.

-Gerry

The 'console' in that message refers to the graphical console, which it
sounds like you didn't configure for the guest. You are best off trying
'virsh console <vmname>', but it will only work on the physical machine
that the guest is running (serial console does not work remotely yet).

I just pushed a virt-manager change to clarify that 'console' message:

http://hg.fedorahosted.org/hg/virt-manager/rev/f645010a2113

- Cole
I booted the ubuntu iso and got into rescue mode and I could see that my console args did make it into grub.cfg. The problem was that upstart did not have a serial console started so I had to configure one. So then I got console output remotely through ssh but for some reason not on the physical console which stopped output at "GRUB Loading". But now I have what looks to be a grub2 issue when the guest boots, it just says "error: invalid magic number" then "Failed to boot default entries."

-Gerry