[virt-tools-list] Problem creating vm's with virt-manager 0.7.0

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 21:08:55 UTC 2009

On 10/15/2009 04:46 PM, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 10/15/2009 03:14 PM, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
>>> On a CentOS 5.3 machine (with qemu 0.9.1, kvm-84) I had been using
>>> virt-manager 0.6.0 but had recently upgraded to 0.7.0 (I tried 0.8.0 but
>>> found that unusable).
>>
>> How was it 'unusable'? If you were getting errors, please post your
>> ~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log (either here, or in bugzilla:
>> http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/page/BugReporting)
>>
> The interface wasn't showing the connection name was the most glaring
> error. You have to hover to get the tooltip to see what it is before you
> connect.  After you connect the names of all the connections are set
> randomly to one of the virtual machine names.

Ah yes, I forgot that the new interface had a text error on RHEL5
systems. This has been fixed upstream. I would recommend building from
upstream source, if not, I will be cutting a new release in a few weeks.

 When I tried to connect
> an iso to the virtual cdrom the file browsing dialog did not work.
> (maybe it shouldn't, since in this case I'm running it locally and the
> vm is on the remote machine, but at least do something better than just
> gray out the browse dialog)

In order to connect an iso to a remote machine via virt-manager, the iso
must be available in a storage pool on the remote machine. This is not
specific virt-manager 0.8.0, that is how it has always been since we
supported remote management.

WRT to the disabled browse button, there would be a nice tooltip
explaining that browsing isn't available for remote connections,
unfortunately RHEL5 doesn't support the easy GTK APIs to make this work.

> <snip>
>

>> No idea what could be causing things to crawl if that is the only XML
>> diff. Did you also update libvirt?
>
> No, I didn't.
>

> I'm hoping I'll be able to fix my desktop so I can try all this with the
> latest versions of everything.  That server is locked as is for now with
> regards to kvm/qemu/libvirt.

Sorry you hit these problems. Hopefully it works out for you.

- Cole