[virt-tools-list] Re: libosinfo - another try

Arjun Roy arroy at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 19:19:34 UTC 2009

> Each version of KVM needs to have a list of supported hardware - we can
> very soon query this directly from KVM with 'qemu-kvm -device ?'.
>
> Each distro has a sorted list of drivers, sorted by preference.
>
> Then its just a matter of calculating the intersection of both lists.
>
> We almost certainly need to extend libvirt to assist here, by making
> it tell us the list of supported drivers. The alternative is for the
> osinfo library to provide the metdata for hypervisors as well as distros
> , eg
>
>   <hypervisor rdf:about="http://qemu.org/qemu-kvm-0.11.0">
>     <name>KVM</name>
>     <version>0.11.0</version>
>     <driver name="ac97" class="audio"/>
>     <driver name="es1371" class="audio"/>
>   </hyperversior>
>

>   <distro rdf:about="http://fedoraproject.org/fedora-11">
>     <name>KVM</name>
>     <version>0.11.0</version>
>     <driver name="es1371" class="audio"/>
>     <driver name="sb16" class="audio"/>
>   </hyperversior>
>
> So the intersection of these, shows we can use  es1371  here.
>
> Maybe do both - extend libvirt tell us, but also support <hypervisor>
> metadata, so that it is possible to override what's reported by libvirt

>From an API point of view this would work and make it easier to implement since
it'd just be string comparisons. The only thing is, at what point to we want to
put a stop on adding new objects to the flat XML namespace? Or is that not a
concern?

I'm liking this idea though. The Hypervisor seems a valid enough object in the
virt realm to explicitly track and account for in the backing data.

-Arjun