[virt-tools-list] Re: libosinfo - another try

On 22/10/09 17:37, Hugh O. Brock wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:47:25AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
On 10/22/2009 05:47 AM, Arjun Roy wrote:
If we are going to use 'ID' here as the unique identifier, I think it
should have some human readable value. Just using numbers will quickly
become confusing if manually navigating the XML.

In the previous discussion, someone mentioned just using<name>  as the
unique identifier, however I don't think that is sufficient either,
since it is not very machine friendly. Something like

"Fedora 12" ->  "fedora12"
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4" ->  "rhel5.4" or
                                   "red_hat_enterprise_linux_5.4"

Think of using this value from the command line (like virt-install
--os-variant), no one is going to want to have to use spaces and proper
capitalization, or a plain digit.

I believe mdbooth was investigating something in CIM around the
canonical naming of distros... Matt? Could be useful here.

Yes. OVF mandates usage of an OS taxonomy defined in CIM. You can find the canonical list by downloading the spec in XML form from here:

http://www.dmtf.org/standards/cim/cim_schema_v2220/cim_schema_2.22.0Final-XMLAll.zip

Search in there[1] for 'BSDUNIX', which is in the middle of the list. Note that there are some significant omissions from this list (including Fedora, for eg). Also note that it's very inconsistent:

* Windows (R) Me
* Windows XP
* Windows Vista
* Windows 2000
* Microsoft Windows Server 2008

vs

* RedHat(sic) Enterprise Linux

Do note that these descriptions are just that. They actually correspond to a numerical ID which is further up. Maybe this means we can get them fixed.

I will be sending them a request to add some new entries in due course, but I don't see how this list can ever be anything other than horrible. That said, it is canonically horrible, so we should map to it. May I suggest that the numerical CIM TargetOSType identifier is mandatory? We'll have to think of something both consistent and useful to do with entries not currently in the CIM list, though.

Matt

[1] Don't try to open this 27MB XML file in firefox: it will die, dragging your machine into swap death in the process. 'xmllint --format all_classes.xml | less' works well for me.
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490