[virt-tools-list] virt-manager over a slow link

Hi everyone.

I'm using virt-manger 0.8 and I'm quite happy with it. I'm connecting to
a libvirt daemon over SSH. Everything is fine when I'm on the same local
network as the server. But I sometime need to use it over slower links,
through a VPN (~300 or 400kbps) and the VNC display is so slow that it
makes it very difficult to use. But when I use VNC (xvncviewer) on
others real hosts (vino for example) through the same VPN, a lossy
compression is used, and the speed is acceptable. Is there a way to use
lossy compression and/or reduce colore depth in order to accelerate the
VNC console through virt-manager (or virt-viewer) (other than manually
querying libvirt to find the VNC port of a VM, and open a separate SSH
tunnel) ?

It'd be great to have virt-manager automatically trying different
encodings depending on the available BW, or to be able to manually
adjust the quality.

Regards, Daniel

Daniel Berteaud
Société de Services en Logiciels Libres