[virt-tools-list] Default use of caching on raw volumes

Nikolai K. Bochev n.bochev at grandstarco.com
Fri Aug 20 10:43:50 UTC 2010

Could you try :

1. Share a folder from winxp
2. From another box start copying a large file to the winxp share
3. Observe loadavg on the kvm host

Both with default settings and cache=none

I was getting loadavg ~35 ( on a 2xXeon E5520 ) with the default setting and read/write speeds around 20Mb/s .
With cache=none the loadavg dropped to ~3 and the speeds increased to 40Mb/s.

The host is ubuntu 10.04.
The guest is ubuntu 10.04 with raw image as disk.