[virt-tools-list] VirtManager iSCSI Volume

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 09:40:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:35:10AM +0930, Mike Hall wrote:
> Is is currently possible to set up iSCSI storage volumes for a KVM host using VirtManager?
>
> We're testing a CentOS 5.5 KVM host which will be converted to RHEL once we're satisfied it works.
> We can setup an iSCSI target in VirtManager OK, but when attempting to create volumes on that target we get this message:
>
> Error launching volume wizard: iSCSI volume creation is not implemented
>
> Are we doing something wrong, or is this functionality not implemented?

The iSCSI protocol/standard provides no mechanism for remote creation
of new LUNs. It all has to be done on the NAS administration console,
whatever they may be, or via vendor-specific APIs. One day we would
like to integrate some of these vendor specific APIs into libvirt's
iSCSI driver to improve this situation, but that's some way off...

> Alternatively, is there a manual way to do this?

I described one way todo this here:

http://berrange.com/posts/2010/05/05/provisioning-kvm-virtual-machines-on-iscsi-the-hard-way-part-1-of-2/

YMMV depending on your iSCSI server

Regards,