Re: [virt-tools-list] [CentOS-virt] VMs died due to hanging httpd processes

On 12/12/2010 06:40 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
Monitoring show that in a timeframe of about 3 minutes the load on the
systems shot up to over 400 before they died. Since MaxClients is set to
512 I suspect that the processes had a mass-lockup with each process
constantly causing a load of 1 (similar to what happens when a process
hangs on an NFS mount point). One of the two VMs acts as a NFS server and
exports directories to the other VM (but doesn't mount any external NFS
sources itself).

What is strange is that both system locked up at the same time since they
are running on two different physical hosts. The hosts run Centos 5.3 while
the VMs run Centos 5.5 as PV Xen guests.

Since the call trace looks identical on both cases I wonder if anyone has
an idea what exactly went wrong here?

That sounds like  it might be a 'slow http' DOS attack.

http://ha.ckers.org/slowloris/

http://blog.spiderlabs.com/2010/11/advanced-topic-of-the-week-mitigating-slow-http-dos-attacks.html

--
Benjamin Franz