[virt-tools-list] Default video model for Windows XP guests

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Dec 16 15:49:37 UTC 2010

On 12/06/2010 10:33 AM, Laurent Léonard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 9 months ago default video model for Windows guests had been changed to "vga"
> (see http://hg.fedorahosted.org/hg/python-virtinst/rev/07fa54fea9d5).
>
> Windows Server 2003 and Windows 7 seems to work fine with that video model, but
> Windows XP doesn't recognize it. It always ask for a driver, however "cirrus"
> video model works fine with Windows XP.
>
> Perhaps we should go back to "cirrus" as default video model for Windows XP
> (see attached patch) ?

The main motivation for using vga over cirrus is that vga allows much
higher screen resolutions. cirrus is stuck at 1024x768

I just tried with winxp pro sp3, and while the listing in 'device
manager' has '?' next to it, everything seems to work quite fine, and
higher resolutions can be set. Are you seeing differently? If not, I
think we should stick with vga.

- Cole