[virt-tools-list] ostype in virtinst and libvirt

Folks,

I've been playing around with python-virtinst, with the primary goal of adding an initial round of LXC support to it.

While reading the code, I've found that "os_type" is quite misleading. This is already recognized and one example is this comment in virtinst/Guest.py:

    # GAH! - installer.os_type = "hvm" or "xen" (aka xen paravirt)
    #        guest.os_type     = "Solaris", "Windows", "Linux"
    # FIXME: We should really rename this property to something else,
    #        change it throughout the codebase for readability sake, but
    #        maintain back compat.

libvirt also refers to "ostype" all over the place, one example is in conf/capabilities.c:

    * virCapabilitiesAddGuest:
    * @caps: capabilities to extend
    * @ostype: guest operating system type ('hvm' or 'xen')

I feel that, even prior to adding LXC support to python-virtinst, I would benefit from learning more about the code while fixing this. I would like to have feedback on a couple of questions:

   * Should libvirt be targeted also? Would this have any impact on ABI/API stability?
   * Has a consensus been formed about alternative names for "ostype", "installer.os_type", "guest.os_type" and the like?

CR.

---
Cleber Rodrigues <crosa redhat com>
Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Inc.