Re: [virt-tools-list] Can't use a physical device

On 01/02/2010 07:39 PM, Chris DiLorenzo wrote:
> I am running virt-manager 0.7.  I am trying to add a usb drive to one
> of my domU's.  Initially, when I tried to add the USB hardware the
> list of USB devices was blank.  A little googling showed that I should
> restart the libvirt service.  I restarted it and ran virsh
> nodedev-list and now there is a list of devices.
>
> The problem is now when I try to add the hardware there is no option
> at all for adding physical hardware.  All I have is Storage, Network,
> Input, Graphics, and Sound.
>
> hald is running.  I have no idea what else to look at.  Any help is appreciated.

What hypervisor and libvirt version are you using? Are you using
upstream version or are these distro provided versions?

Since you mention 'domU', I'm guessing you are using xen. virt-manager
0.7.0 disables host device attachment for xen because at the time
libvirt didn't support it. This check is improved in later versions,
(and will also provide better reporting in the 'Add Hardware' screen),
so you may want to try a newer virt-manager version. That still may mean
libvirt is not sufficiently new enough though.