[virt-tools-list] Unable to create WinXP/W2K3 image - Disk read error

I used to be able to create an WinXP or a W2K3 image using virt-manager. However, now the installation process goes through to a reboot and terminates with a message in the virt-manager window saying

Booting from Hard Disk...

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart

This failure does not occur when i create a W2K8 image with the same sized disk, and it keeps occurring for WinXP/W2K3 images even if i move the image to a physically different device, so i doubt it's an issue with my hardware. The Details tab in virt-manager informs me that the failed image so longer has a CD-ROM drive at all, never mind that the drive should show the location of the install disk. Can someone provide me with some help to find out whats going wrong?