[virt-tools-list] Unable to create WinXP/W2K3 image - Disk read error

David Dick ddick at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 12 00:58:11 UTC 2010

I used to be able to create an WinXP or a W2K3 image using virt-manager.
  However, now the installation process goes through to a reboot and
terminates with a message in the virt-manager window saying

--------------------------------

Booting from Hard Disk...

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart

This failure does not occur when i create a W2K8 image with the same
sized disk, and it keeps occurring for WinXP/W2K3 images even if i move
the image to a physically different device, so i doubt it's an issue
with my hardware.  The Details tab in virt-manager informs me that the
failed image so longer has a CD-ROM drive at all, never mind that the
drive should show the location of the install disk.  Can someone provide
me with some help to find out whats going wrong?