[virt-tools-list] Usage of virt-clone

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 14:47:04 UTC 2010

On 07/15/2010 06:14 AM, Bla Blubb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use libvirt to manage my Xen-Server and have some questions.
>
> I have one SERVER with libvirt-bin 0.4.6.1 (from the Debian Lenny
> Repository), Xen 3.1. All the images of Xen determine in /image.
>
> Then I have an SLAVE with libvirt-bin 0.4.6.1 (from the Debian Lenny
> Repository).
>
>>From this SLAVE I want to start / stop and clone my virtual machines on
> SERVER. I figured out to place the configuration files on the SLAVE to start
> / stop the virtual machines on the SERVER.
>
> Now I want to clone a defined VM:
> virt-clone --connect xen+tcp://server/ --original blubb --name kopievonblubb
> --file /image/kopievonblubb.img
> ERROR    [Errno 2] Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden: '/image/blubb.img'
>
> I want to clone the VM on the SERVER and place the clones Image on the
> SERVER in the /image folder.
> Does this cloning not working on remote hosts? Or have I a mistake or is the
> version of libvirt to old?

The version of libvirt on the both hosts is too old. You need at least
libvirt 0.6.4, and virtinst 0.500.0 or later IIRC. Then you need to make
sure that your storage is part of a libvirt storage pool (basically make
/image on the server a libvirt directory pool: virsh pool-define-as
--type dir --target /images)

- Cole