[virt-tools-list] Lilo bootloader succeeds with kvm but not virt-manager

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 4 16:55:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 02:03:12PM +0200, Daniel Janzon wrote:
> I installed Linux Suse as a guest in virt-manager/KVM and had trouble to
> install grub. So I used good old Lilo instead. When running Suse in
> virt-manager Lilo fails with
>
>   LILO - Keytable read/checksum error on bootup
>
> When I go
>
>   kvm -m 512 -hda SLES-10.3.img

libvirt won't have such a simple command line.  There could be other
KVM options which affect things at boot.

I have a couple of suggestions:

(1) Find out the full libvirt command line.  Easiest is to start the
domain under virt-manager and quickly use the 'ps ax' command.  (There
is a more "official" way to convert libvirt XML into a qemu command
line but I cannot recall what that is at the moment).

(2) Use virt-rescue or guestfish and see if you can install grub in
the domain.  In guestfish it'd be something like this:

  guestfish -i GuestName
  ><fs> mkdir-p /boot/grub
  ><fs> grub-install /boot /dev/sda1

(You might need to change those command slightly and read the man page
for virt-rescue, guestfish and/or grub-install).

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v