[virt-tools-list] virt-v2v questions

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 13:09:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:51:41AM -0400, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
> Are you saying just back up the contents of the VM itself or back up
> the VM as a whole?

Not sure what the difference is.  A shut down VM consists of just the
disk image(s) and the hypervisor-specific configuration file.  The
configuration file isn't really necessary, since you could reconstruct
all the information in it (with some effort) by inspecting the disk
image.

> I'd like to find a way to just give the VM a
> proper name (I'll look into virt-inspector, thanks for that) and copy
> the logical volumes that make up the VM disks onto an external media.
> Of course, I would have to use something else at a later time to
> import the VM's back into RHEV or a KVM server later should I need to,
> but for now I would like to get them off of my export storage domain
> and store them in a more portable format than what RHEV does.

This seems like a very RHEV-M-specific question, but AFAIK RHEV-M just
uses qcow2 format files stored in logical volumes.  qcow2 is about as
portable and standard as it comes ("raw" being the only thing that is
more portable and widely supported, and you can convert from qcow2 to
raw with perfect fidelity using 'qemu-img convert').

Rich.