Re: [virt-tools-list] virt-v2v questions

On 02/11/10 12:36, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
Thanks Rich.

I'm actually asking this more for RHEV usage.  I don't know if you're
directly involved with RHEV development, but I do know that they are
using more of your tools in RHEV now.

I have an export storage domain that I have exported a VM to.
Supposedly, according to the RHEV documentation, it is exported as an
OVF format.  However, it creates the disk images as logical volumes on
the export domain, with GUID's instead of easy to understand names.
What I am attempting to do is find a way to use virt-v2v to pull the
VM off of my export storage domain and convert it into a KVM VM to
store on an external hard drive as another layer of backup.

virt-v2v doesn't support export from RHEV, only import. However, it doesn't sound like you need V2V here. Once you've exported the VM to an export storage domain, you can simply back up the files in the export storage domain. tar would work as well as anything else here.