[virt-tools-list] Problem with virt-install and KVM

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Thu Nov 11 15:58:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

  If this should be a bug, please let me know if I have included enough
information here and I will create the bug. Otherwise, let me know what
I am missing or, perhaps, what I am simply doing wrong. :)

  I am trying to provision a KVM VM on Fedora 14 x86_64 using
'virt-install'. I've run into two problems. First, here is the command I
was trying to use:

virt-install --connect qemu:///system \
             --virt-type kvm \
             --name vm_01 \
             --ram 3072 \
             --arch x86_64 \
             --location http://192.168.1.254/f14/x86_64/img/ \
             --extra-args
"ks=http://192.168.1.254/f14/x86_64/ks/generic_kvm_vm.ks" \
             --os-type linux \
             --os-variant fedora14 \
             --disk path=/dev/vg0/vm_01 \
             --network bridge=virbr0,mac=00:16:3e:00:10:02 \
             --vnc \
             --vcpus 3 \
             --cpuset 1-3 \
             --paravirt

1) Using '--paravirt', the installer tries to use "Xen" regardless of
the 'connect' and 'virt-type' arguments.

2) When I try to specify >1 CPU, the install of the Fedora 14 VM hangs.
This is where I am unsure of where to create the bug report. How can I
tell if this is a bug with the VM or a bug with the hypervisor?

I forgot last night to mark where is hung, but it was very early in the
install process; Before even Fedora's usual blue-background prompt for
the language and keyboard type. I believe it was at or just after a line
about the serial port. I will screen capture it tonight and post a