[virt-tools-list] Question about live migration with the virtual machine manager (XEN)

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 09:22:20 UTC 2010

On 09/01/2010 06:29 PM, Mike Sievers wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I tried to live migrate a xen host with the vmm. It works when I use the
> commandline.
> But I can't choose a host with the gui (0.8.4).
> What do I have to configure that I can select a new host?

Hi Mike,

Do you have both hosts individually set up in the GUI, so that you're
able to open a connection to either one of them as needed?

For example, with the testing setup here at the moment, virt-manager is
configured for two hosts.  host1, and host2.  Nothing special configured
with them, they're just standard connection setups.  Either host be
connected to in order to start guests, stop them, delete them, etc.

 From the main virt-manager window, if I right click on a running guest
the context menu gives me a "Migrate..." option.  Clicking that opens a
dialog to choose the destination host... any other host that
virt-manager knows about.  (this is probably the bit you need to know)

For a guest on host1, it gives me the "host2" option.  For a guest on
host2, it gives me the "host1" option.  (hope that makes sense)

To add more hosts as potential migration targets (in virt-manager), they
need to be set up individually with virt-manager first, so it knows they
exist.

Does that help?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift