[virt-tools-list] Could you please tell me What does the session file mean which be used during restoring a saved virtual machine by virt-manager?

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Thu Sep 9 14:14:46 UTC 2010

On 09/09/2010 03:31 PM, Ming G Li wrote:

> Could you please tell me What does the session file mean which be used
> during restoring a saved virtual machine by virt-manager?

Hi,

The term "session file" is a bit confusing here.  Where are you seeing it?

I *think* what you are meaning, is the file that the virtual machine
memory and session info is saved into, then restored from.

For example:

  HOST SERVER
   Guest 1 (running)
   Guest 2 (running)

If you save "Guest 1" while it is running, then it's memory and other
similar information has to be saved somewhere (in a file) until you
restore it later.  If the guest has 512MB ram, then the file will
probably be about 512MB in size, to hold the info.  (roughly)

Does that make sense, and does it sound like the thing you're asking about?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift