Re: [virt-tools-list] Best way to backup my VMs

On 04/12/2011 10:19 AM, Christian Grassi wrote:
> Actually you create a doubt in my mind...
> If you have a VM with lots of memory, if you just suspend the machine,
> and back it up without saving the ram, in teory, as no fsync succeded
> you could lose a lot of stuff which is in the filesystem cache and not
> synced.
> Am I wrong ?

"crash-consistent" can indeed lose data, and the amount lost increases
when there is more memory to cache more in-flight operations; which is
why 'virsh save'/save/'virsh restore' (full memory and disk state) is
safer than 'virsh suspend'/save/'virsh resume' (crash-consistent disk
space, but no memory to go along with it).