Re: [virt-tools-list] Best way to backup my VMs

Hi,

I tested the virsh save / copy / virsh restore scheme, but my VM wasn't able to restore. =~
I tried 2 diferent syntaxes, but with these commands my VM keeps paused. The following output is printed in the terminal:

lamps ubunteira:~$ virsh restore balance
erro: Falha ao restaurar o domínio a partir de balance
erro: operation failed: cannot read domain image

lamps ubunteira:~$ sudo virsh restore /backup/balance.memo
[sudo] password for lamps:
erro: Falha ao restaurar o domínio a partir de /backup/balance.memo
erro: Requested operation is not valid: domain is already active as 'balance'

lamps ubunteira:~$ virsh list --all
 Id Nome                 Estado
----------------------------------
  2 balance              pausado
  - bfw-t1               desligado
  - bunta11              desligado
  - firebunta-t3         desligado
  - zeus                 desligado

What is happening?

2011/4/12 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones redhat com>
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 05:50:37PM +0200, Frédéric Grelot wrote:
> An other method to profit from virtualization-enabled server would be to take the following actions :
> -inside guest : turn of server application
> -inside guest : unmount data disk
[...]
> -inside guest : remount and restart server application

Most guests support some concept of freezing the filesystem which is
like this but far less disruptive.  See for example:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb968832%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://lwn.net/Articles/287435/

Also the new virt agent will be able to implement these interfaces
using some sort of upcall from the host.  It's not actually
implemented yet AFAIK.

Rich.

libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines.  Supports shell scripting,
bindings from many languages.  http://libguestfs.org