Re: [virt-tools-list] Best way to backup my VMs

On 04/12/2011 03:01 PM, Bruno Lamps wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested the virsh save / copy / virsh restore scheme, but my VM wasn't able
> to restore. =~
> I tried 2 diferent syntaxes, but with these commands my VM keeps paused. The
> following output is printed in the terminal:
>
> lamps ubunteira:~$ virsh restore balance
> erro: Falha ao restaurar o domínio a partir de balance
> erro: operation failed: cannot read domain image

Did you name the file "balance" in the 'virsh save domain file' step?
'virsh restore' expects that file name, not a domain name.

> lamps ubunteira:~$ sudo virsh restore /backup/balance.memo
> [sudo] password for lamps:
> erro: Falha ao restaurar o domínio a partir de /backup/balance.memo
> erro: Requested operation is not valid: domain is already active as
> 'balance'

'virsh restore' restarts the domain; therefore, if you have
independently restarted the domain in the meantime, then virsh restore
can't do it's job.

Furthermore, 'virsh save domain file' should not leave the domain
paused, but should actually change it over to 'shut down'.  It may help
if you paste your entire session of what you tried, rather than just the
tail end of it.