Re: [virt-tools-list] Best way to backup my VMs

Hi,

Yesterday, I've run this command with cron, so I wasn't able to see if virsh save worked OK. Now I tried it in the terminal and virsh save isn't working, I think the problem happens before virsh restore. =D

I typed virsh save balance /backup/b.20110313, and the terminal is locked for 20 minutes now, nothing happened. Where can I see some log of what is happening? I've pasted here what I did today in terminal:

lamps ubunteira:~$ virsh
Bem vindo ao virsh, terminal interativo de virtualização.

Digite:  "help" para ajuda com comandos
       "quit" para sair

virsh # list --all
 Id Nome                 Estado
----------------------------------
  - balance              desligado
  - bfw-t1               desligado
  - bunta11              desligado
  - firebunta-t3         desligado
  - zeus                 desligado

virsh # start balance
Domínio balance iniciado

virsh # list all
erro: dado "all" inesperado
virsh # list --all
 Id Nome                 Estado
----------------------------------
  1 balance              executando
  - bfw-t1               desligado
  - bunta11              desligado
  - firebunta-t3         desligado
  - zeus                 desligado

virsh # save balance /backup/b.20110413

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Eric Blake <eblake redhat com> wrote:
On 04/12/2011 03:01 PM, Bruno Lamps wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested the virsh save / copy / virsh restore scheme, but my VM wasn't able
> to restore. =~
> I tried 2 diferent syntaxes, but with these commands my VM keeps paused. The
> following output is printed in the terminal:
>
> lamps ubunteira:~$ virsh restore balance
> erro: Falha ao restaurar o domínio a partir de balance
> erro: operation failed: cannot read domain image

Did you name the file "balance" in the 'virsh save domain file' step?
'virsh restore' expects that file name, not a domain name.

> lamps ubunteira:~$ sudo virsh restore /backup/balance.memo
> [sudo] password for lamps:
> erro: Falha ao restaurar o domínio a partir de /backup/balance.memo
> erro: Requested operation is not valid: domain is already active as
> 'balance'

'virsh restore' restarts the domain; therefore, if you have
independently restarted the domain in the meantime, then virsh restore
can't do it's job.

Furthermore, 'virsh save domain file' should not leave the domain
paused, but should actually change it over to 'shut down'.  It may help
if you paste your entire session of what you tried, rather than just the
tail end of it.

--
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-801-349-2682