Re: [virt-tools-list] Introducing: virtlib library

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 04:38:33PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Please excuse the double response.
>
> So I've scanned through the code briefly, but I'm a bit confused. Where
> is this heading? Can you give a provide an explicit example of:
>
> 1) Functionality that is duplicated between vmm and vmmtui

vmmtui seeks to be a text-based version of vmm and provide all of the
same features. That would make all of the functionality that's not
directly related to the UI widgets duplicated.

> 2) Problems that prevent vmmtui from just reusing the relevant vmm code

In previous discussions with you my understanding was that there was no
clean separate of the view code in vmm from the business logic.

> 3) Proposed solution

This patch set is intended to kick off an effort to first pull the
business logic (the M and C from the MVC design pattern) out of vmmtui,
leaving that application as purely the UI code.

Then, working from that foundation, refactor vmm to use the new shared
libraries. Anything that vmmtui was lacking would be added into the
shared bits and move vmmtui to be more closely identical to vmm.

> Please be as specific as possible.
>
> In fact it might be best if you can find a way to break out a small
> simple piece of the shared functionality, and provide patches with the
> new code, as well as converting vmm and vmmtui to use it, so the end
> direction is apparent and the interfaces can be evaluated against real uses.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/