[virt-tools-list] virt-what detection on Citrix XenServer 5.5

Mark Phillips mark at probably.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 14:24:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

Just been recommended to look at virt-what by Dom Cleal, after struggling with
Facter/Puppet.

I've a RHEL (well, CentOS) 5.5 virtual running on Citrix XenServer 5.5.0 -
virt-what reports the virtual as being on hyperv though:

[root at jusbeta virt-what]# PATH=.:$PATH ./virt-what
hyperv
[root at jusbeta virt-what]# ./virt-what-cpuid-helper
Microsoft Hv
[root at jusbeta virt-what]# dmidecode | egrep '(Vendor|Manufact|Product)'
        Vendor: Xen
        Manufacturer: Xen
        Product Name: HVM domU
        Manufacturer: Xen
        Manufacturer: AMD

I can gather it's down to virt-what-cpuid-helper that this is the discovery,
but not being a C coder I don't know why - I guess you guys probably do.

If there's anything else I can provide that will help resolve this, please let
me know.

Regards,

--Mark