[virt-tools-list] C'ant migrate with virt-manager or virsh

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 3 12:05:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 08:48:35AM -0300, Bruno Lamps wrote:
> Ok. While waiting for Daniel's, I tryed to add one more line to /etc/hosts.
> Now it looks like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain   localhost    localhost4
> ::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
> *192.168.0.67 fedorao.pisolar fedorao*
> 192.168.1.4 cluster.pisolar cluster
>
> I added the line pointing the name of the "fedorao" machine on it's own
> /etc/hosts, made the same in "cluster" machine, rebooted both, and tried to
> migrate again.
>
> Migrating with virt-manager gives me this error message:
>
> Unable to migrate guest: operation failed: Migration unexpectedly failed
> > Unable to migrate guest: operation failed: Migration unexpectedly failed
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 45, in
> > cb_wrapper
> >     callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
> >   File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/migrate.py", line 523, in
> > _async_migrate
> >     vm.migrate(dstconn, migrate_uri, rate, live, secure, meter=meter)
> >   File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1141, in
> > migrate
> >     self._backend.migrate(destconn.vmm, flags, newname, interface, rate)
> >   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 518, in
> > migrate
> >     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainMigrate() failed',
> > dom=self)
> > libvirtError: operation failed: Migration unexpectedly failed
> >

> Trying to use virsh, I get this answer:
>
> [root at fedorao ~]# virsh migrate --live lol qemu+ssh://192.168.1.4/system
> > root at 192.168.1.4's password:
> > erro:operation failed: Migration unexpectedly failed

This indicates that the 'migrate' command in QEMU failed. This
is usually because it fails to connect to the remote host. If
you're lucky there may be a more informative message in
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/lol.log

If not, then you want to edit libvirtd.conf on the source
machine and add

  log_filters="1:qemu_monitor"
  log_outputs="1:file:/var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log"

run the migration, and then look in the log for the
'migrate' monitor command libvirt issues to QEMU to
start the process - you may spot an error there

This kind of problem is always something stupid like
mis-configured hostname / dns / firewall, but QEMU is
useless at telling us just which

Daniel