Re: [virt-tools-list] what does virt-v2v check for in a multiboot os?

On 26/01/11 13:56, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
Thanks Rich,

I tried this again and it still failed.  This is a single vmdk disk
with two partitions.  I deleted out the second partition (that didn't
have anything on it) and it worked.  However, i have other vm's to
import that I can't delete out the second partition, so that isn't
ideal.

I was looking through the virt-v2v script itself (this is on RHEL 6)
and noticed that it was supposed to run the inspection before it
creates the target vm image (I'm no PERL guy, but that's what I got
from the script).  However, when I run the utitlity, it goes through
the whole process of creating the target vm (which took about 2.5
hours on my last try) and then failed because "multiboot operating
systems are not supported by virt-v2v."

Could the utility be changed to check that before it tries to convert
it?  That would save a lot of time from being wasted by a process that
won't work.

Unfortunately not. It can't inspect the guest to determine that it can't convert it until it has copied it. It's the copy that takes the time. Creating the new target volume and conversion only take a minute or so.

It's my understanding that the recovery console is installed on a separately bootable partition which is normally hidden from Windows, and that it contains a stripped-down Windows installation. Is that right? If so, it explains the problem you're seeing. virt-inspector would see this as a second OS. virt-v2v would see multiple OSs and refuse to convert it. If so, we obviously need to handle this.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490